The old saying that Knowledge is Power definitely applies in the vehicle purchasing situation. Use the links below to become informed prior to negotiating.
Tips for Dealer Negotiating
- Buy on the last two days of the month.
- Window shop on the days that dealers are closed. Never impulse buy.
- Work the deal on the purchase price only. Then bring up any trade you may have.
- Work on the bottom line, NOT the payments.
- Have your loan pre-authorized at the credit union. Our loan officers will advise you of the amount you qualify for and help you avoid unnecessary dealer add-ons.
Tips for Used Car Buyers
- Check for oil spots under the vehicle after running.
- Check tread on tires for uneven wear and decent tread depth.
- Make sure all door, hood and opening joints line up evenly.
- When accelerating, look for smoke in the rear view mirror.
- Drive at a speed which will allow you to shift into overdrive.
- If oil is dark black and thick, chances are the vehicle has not been maintained properly.
- Never buy a car without an inspection sticker.
- If buying from a dealer, insist upon getting the CAR FAX report.
- If buying from an individual, check the CAR FAX report yourself. You can check five VIN numbers for $49.99 which is a small investment.